Did You Know:
- Massachusetts volunteers contributed more than 137.5 million documented service hours in 2011
- Benjamin Franklin started the first volunteer Firefighting Company in 1736
- The American Red Cross was established in 1881
- The first volunteer center was established in 1919 in Minneapolis, MN
- Soup kitchens were created in response to the Great Depression in the 1930’s
- President John F. Kennedy created the Peace Corps in 1961
- The AmeriCorps VISTA program was created in 1964 as part of the War on Poverty campaign
- President George H.W. Bush made community service a national policy in his Points of Light speech in 1989
- Boston Cares was founded in 1991 by 6 friends who wanted to make volunteering more accessible to the Boston Community
- President Barack Obama expanded the nation’s commitment to volunteering & national service by signing the Serve America Act in 2009
How many of these fun facts did you already know?
Do you have any more for us?
Sources: volunteeringamerica.gov, handsonnetwork.org