Family Volunteer Day, a Points of Light signature day of service, demonstrates and celebrates the power of families who volunteer together, supporting their neighborhoods, communities and the world. For more than two decades, Family Volunteer Day has been held on the Saturday before Thanksgiving to “kick off” the holiday season with giving and service. This year Family Volunteer Day takes place on Nov. 17 and is being powered by generationOn and sponsored by Disney Friends For Change, a global initiative that inspires kids and families to take action to help people, communities and the planet.
What: Participants will create bedtime bear kits that include a homemade teddy bear, a bedtime story, a toothbrush, and toothpaste, which will then be sent to children living in family shelters all around Greater Boston. Creativity is encouraged!
Family shelters being served: the Bridge Home at St. Mary’s, Casa Nueva Vida, the Italian Home for Children, and Christopher’s Haven.
When: Saturday November 17, 2012 10:00am-12:00pm
Where: Boys and Girls Club of Middlesex County/119 Windsor Street/Cambridge, MA/02139
Who: This event is open to all families
For more information, please visit our website.
For information on covering the service project, contact Kelly Dwyer, Boston Cares Volunteer Coordinator at 617.422.0910 x206 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 Reasons to Volunteer with your Family
1. Volunteering as a family provides a fun way for families to make memories together while making significant contributions to their communities.
2. It teaches children the values of kindness and giving back, ideas which complement the holiday season of giving.
3. Family members use their talents to work on an issue they feel passionate about.
4. Serving together builds problem solving skills and strengthens communication within the whole family.
5. Volunteering together strengthens the family by promoting positive values, creating new opportunities to communicate and focusing on the importance of teamwork.
6. Volunteering as a family strengthens the community by encouraging people to get involved, and improving the community’s overall environment—attracting new people, new commitments and new ideas.
7. Family volunteering strengthens nonprofit organizations by increasing community awareness of important social needs and expanding the volunteer base.
8. Volunteering together makes family time valuable to both families and communities.
9. Family volunteering can help to improve family communication.
10.Volunteering as a family teaches children values like kindness, empathy, respect, friendliness and tolerance.